● In a single electronic file, submit one or two funny, well-crafted poems tied to something currently in the news (political or otherwise). Use one of the following formats:
Word document (.doc or .docx) files
Rich Text Format (.rtf) files
● Put "Poem of the Week" in your title field.
● Since Light has a blind submissions policy, as much as possible, don't put your name in the title of your submission or in the file containing your poems. Instead, share identifying info in your cover letter only. The cover letter should include your name, e-mail address, snail-mail address and phone number. You don't need to send a bio with Poem of the Week submissions.
● We don't consider simultaneous submissions.
● You may submit up to two POTW poems per week. (If sending two, please put them in the same file.)
●The weekly POTW submission deadline is Friday at noon, Pacific Time. (Our inaugural deadline for the POTW system is April 21, 2017.)
● Unless you're invited to do so, please don't resubmit a poem that wasn't chosen from an earlier submission.
● Submissions will be read by Editor Melissa Balmain and/or Managing Editor Kevin Durkin, or a guest editor (to be announced).
● Except for the procedures described above, all our usual guidelines and policies apply. (See "Poems for regular issues of Light" guidelines.)
SUBMISSIONS FOR REGULAR ISSUES OF LIGHT
See separate guidelines page.
Poems chosen from among each week's POTW submissions will run the following Monday; if you don't receive an acceptance by Tuesday, feel free to submit your poem elsewhere. On rare occasions (and with notice to the poet), we might hold an accepted POTW to run another week, or consider a POTW submission for one of Light's biannual issues instead. All accepted POTWs will be archived and searchable on Light's website, just like poems in our regular issues.
Like most poetry magazines, Light is a nonpaying market—at least for now. We seek non-exclusive rights to your work. (See below.)
When submitting work to Light, you agree that:
● It's original work, by you, and you hold the copyright.
● It has never appeared online before, outside of a workshop or private social-media page.
● It hasn't been published on paper within the previous two years.
● If the work is accepted by Light, you will not publish it elsewhere (in print or online) before it appears in Light. After the work appears in Light, you won't publish it elsewhere for at least two months (though you're of course encouraged to share links to your work via email and social media).
● While you retain all rights to your poem/s, we have non-exclusive electronic permission to post accepted work in our online archives and share it through social media.
● We have your permission to include your published poem/s in a printed anthology. If possible, you will receive compensation for such an inclusion, either in dollars or copies.
● If you reprint a poem originally published in Light, you will give us a credit line and, when possible, a link to Light's home page.
If you have questions not answered here, feel free to contact Light’s editors at email@example.com